Double Takes wit Rebecca: Fun with Holiday Lights

For me it is Christmas lights,  
but any lights will work!
Here are some things you can do with lights.

You can make lights seem to twinkle
by using a higher aperture setting.



f25, ISO 400, 30sec on tripod 

If you can attach a filter to your lens,
try using a star filter for this effect.


 
f 2.8 ISO 1250, 1/60 sec on tripod 
using a 4pt star filter 

Below is an outdoor tree  
covered in blue lights.
If you have a zoom lens you can do this one. 
My camera was on a tripod, 
I selected a slow shutter speed  
and turned the zoom on my camera while  
the shutter was open.  

1/6 sec, ISO 100, f2.8 on tripod
rotating zoom.

And of course, everyone's favorite these days...
bokeh!
The out of focus lights in the background create bokeh.
Use a wide aperture
and add distance between your subject and the lights.



f1.8, ISO 640, 1/200


Do you have any tips for shooting lights?
Please share them,
I'd like to try something new!

I posted Double Takes a week early this month
before the holiday lights come down!!

Comments

  1. i just put my laptop down and went to try the rotating zoom and wow, love it. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra! I am so happy you got to play with it. It really is fun. I have seen some really cool effects using this technique.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think, in the comments below: